Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gratitude day 9

Today, I'm thankful

1. For lunch with my husband.

2. That I don't live in the 18th century or earlier or in an impoverished country. I have been reading a novel that takes place during this time, and it reminds me to be thankful that we have access to modern medicine and conveniences like indoor plumbing, hot water, and indoor air conditioning.

3. For the medical insurance that my husband's company provides. We have been fortunate to be covered under a plan that has taken care of all of our medical needs during this past year and for the procedure I'm having tomorrow.

I went into the doctor's office today to have my standard two week blood draw to check my hCG. The nurse asked me how I was doing, and I mentioned that I'm still having bleeding that's heavier than I would expect at this point. They did an ultrasound in the office and discovered that there is some tissue that has not passed yet from the miscarriage.

I was given the option to take a drug (can't remember the name) that would attempt to flush the tissue out with contractions and bleeding or to have a D&C. The pharmaceutical means is not guaranteed and would make it seem like I'm having the miscarriage all over again putting me out of commission for longer.

However, the recovery time for the D&C is usually 48 hours where I can resume normal activity and even exercise. I opted for the D&C so that I can get this over with and move on. I'm tired of being in "recovery" mode, and I need to get back to normal! Plus there's also a chance that they maybe able to recover the tissue and send it off for chromosome analysis to see if there were any chromosomal abnormalities that caused this miscarriage. But my doctor is checking with pathology to see how much is required since there isn't a lot in there - she isn't optimistic about this.

4. So I'm also thankful that this will all be over with very shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment