Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Loss of My Religion

I wish I could let myself be comforted by religion and spirituality. Honestly at this point, any religion would suffice. It would be so easy to just be able to believe and have faith in those ideas.

But I feel that I have crossed this threshold where I will never be able to get that comfort I used to have from religion. Just as when you were a child and found out there is no Santa Clause or Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy, you want so much to still believe that they are real. But the reality of knowing they are just stories cannot be ignored; you see how they cannot be real; and you know it's true. As a child, this maybe your first simple experience with grief, and just as with grief you are saddened and angered by the loss of the idea. Once the deception is erased and the truth revealed, you will never be able to get that innocence back.

I find myself drawing an interesting parallel between my loss of religion and the loss of my children. Just as I lost my idea of "Santa Clause", I have also lost my naivety in pregnancy. I can never get that innocence back, and I envy others who can go through their whole life and never know what risk they are facing when they have their children. I had that innocence in my first pregnancy, and I look back at it in amazement. I would receive congratulations on my new baby before she was even born! I never found that to be odd until after our first loss. When people would offer their congratulations when I was pregnant again, I would think, "How can you congratulate me when the baby's not here yet?" I'm not a superstitious person, but it almost felt like bad luck or a jinx. I remember reading an article a woman wrote about her experience loosing her baby to birth defects. She writes that pregnancy is not a guarantee of life but rather hope of one. I wish more people would see it this way and really appreciate the gift and miracle they have been privileged with.

6 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to those feelings of innocence being gone. I so wish I knew what that felt like.

    I don't think I can sit here and try to say things that would mean much right now religious wise. All I can say is that if I were in your shoes...I would feel the same way. I just really wish I could take at least some of the pain away from you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I was watching when part of this realization was hitting home in regards to religion no longer providing comfort. What had me wondering was more the changes I saw in you during the Memorial service given for your dear, departed grandmother. I saw you close your eyes and bow your head at the first call for prayer, but by the last call of the service you didn't even bother to close your eyes at all. I saw you take the hymnal I handed you as a courtesy, but saw you sing not a word from it. Your title really begs a philosophical question: did it really ever belong to you, or was it more that you belonged to it?

    I think the biggest obstacle to a rational, intelligent person keeping faith in an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good supernatural benefactor aren't all the factual fallacies and inconsistencies, but the most basic philosophical questions created by the presence of evil in the world. If such a being were not all-knowing, it would be forgivable, because he knew not when evil would strike. If he were not all-powerful, you could forgive him as he lacked the power to intercede. If he were not all-good, you could accept evil as part of who he is and what he does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to send you some hugs. I'm a friend of Kimber's and your family has been in my prayers. I gave birth to twins last July, who were both stillborn- so although I don't know exactly what you're going through, I am walking my own grief path. Sending you lots of hugs and support...

    Love,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. and just wanted to also say that I really identify with what you posted. Like Kimber, I wish there was something I could do to take away some of your pain. (((hugs))) Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some interesting thoughts. Good for you, too, for being able to put to words what you're feeling. Yeah, I guess I never realized how little I know about what you and Kevin believe about God. Man, you're my sis and Kevin's my bro-in-law. I should know more about you guys. We should get coffee (or herbal tea) sometime you guys are down for the wedding. I def want to understand your guys' perspective. and I'm not plotting on doing some confrontational evangelical thing. Really, I just want to learn more about others' perspectives on God. I actually bought a book of atheistic writings awhile back cos I wanted to understand these different views better. Lemme know. Maybe Sat morn when you guys are down?

    ReplyDelete