Monday, May 18, 2009

Injections? Who knew!

I had an ad hoc consult appointment with the obstetrician that the perinatologist recommended today. It was completely unexpected since I was supposed to attend a workshop (which got canceled for the 3rd time, arrrgg!). I already had a sub watching the daycare so I thought I'd try to see if she had any openings, and low and behold something worked out for once, and she did!

I asked her all the hard questions like, "will you still see me if I'm late?" (Back story filler: My last OB's office made me reschedule my 20 week ultrasound because I was 20 minutes late. I know I was the one late, but come on folks, I've lost a baby! How insensitive can you be?! I even later found out that they have a 30 minute grace period! Now why wasn't I given that grace period at the time?) Among other questions, I also asked how will she manage my care and how will she be emotionally accommodating. She was very personable and willing to see me as often as I felt I needed to be seen. I did find out that the blood thinners are injections you have to give yourself in the abdomen (like insulin). The cheaper of the two drug options is a twice a day injection. The more expensive of the two (that insurance usually doesn't cover, go figure) is a once a day injection. It's funny how at one point in time I would have cringed at the thought of having to go through that for children, but now I see it as just a bump on the road to happiness.

I was also quite impressed with another patient who was waiting to be seen. They had accidentally told her the wrong day of her appointment, but they were still going to fit her in today. I doubt my old doctor's office would have done that.

After our meeting, I walked away from her office with a good feeling knowing that I have two very good doctors who seem genuinely concerned about my wellbeing and the wellbeing of our future babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment