Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I have a problem

I have a problem and it centers around what is now the age-old abortion debate.  In an effort to persuade individuals to think "pro-life", proponents are now relying on irresponsible and ethically dangerous techniques.  One is now being lead to believe that if one prays hard enough or follows blindly enough or is righteous enough or has enough faith, etc, etc, one will be graced with beating the odds and can go against medical convention regardless of risk.

I became aware of the Tebow family during Super Bowl Sunday while seeing a commercial during a pre-game show.  My husband informed me that the mother in this commercial was advised to have an abortion because of health reasons that put her own life in danger.  She opted to go against medical advice and keep the pregnancy which resulted in a healthy baby who now happens to be a well known football player.  You can read the full story here.  While I think it's wonderful that they had a good outcome, I think it's irresponsible for Focus on the Family to encourage and endorse this type of behavior.  I'm not going to say the Tebow family made the right or wrong decision.  It is a decision each family/mother needs to make on their/her own based on logical and personal reasons.  The Tebow family is the exception, not the rule, and it is irresponsible to lead people to believe that if they pray long or hard enough they too can have the desired outcome.  There is a reason they're called odds and most people are not going to have the desired outcome if the odds are stacked against them. 

I am envious of the Tebow's story.  I will admit that right now.  There was no doubt in my mind that we were going to have a healthy baby before we lost Sierra.  I fortified myself spiritually when I became pregnant again and prayed harder and stronger and believed I would have my sought after "rainbow" baby.  To tell me I didn't have enough faith or I wasn't praying right would be a slap in my face if I still believed all that nonsense (anyone want a side of bitter with their meal?). Why were they able to have the desired outcome against greater odds when I did everything I was supposed to do too?  Why couldn't I have my babies with me as well?

Aside from all that emotional turmoil, my main desire is that people will use logic when making risky decisions rather than falling victim to the Hollywood-fairy-tale-ending type propaganda.  Use your brains people, and don't let yourself be the next victim to the sensationalism.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I find these things frustrating, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. One of my biggest pet peeves is irresponsible reporting/advertising/advising. If people put thought into these things instead of simply accepting them, that would be one thing. But so many people simply take stuff like this at face value and allow their emotions rather than their brains to dictate their decision-making, and worse, preach their emotion-based logic to others. I have more faith in science than emotion, maybe that's why it makes me so furious. Heh, is that an oxymoron?

    ReplyDelete