Thursday, April 23, 2009

Today I received my records from my OB's office and setup a consult appointment with my potentially new perinatologist.

With the last 2 pregnancy experiences ending in loss at this same office (in addition to other reasons resulting in dissatisfaction), I decided I need a new doctor.

I understand that the cause of 50% of all stillbirths are unexplained. I understand that we do not yet fully understand the causes for placental abruption. But there has to be something wrong with me for this to happen twice, and I want answers so I don't have to go through this again. I'm not getting any younger, and we want more living and healthy children!

In reality I don't expect to ever get those answers, but I do want someone who will watch me very closely and be as concerned about my developing baby as I am while also being emotionally accommodating. I didn't get that sense of concern for my baby from my old doctor's office, and they certainly weren't emotionally accommodating. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until it was too late.

Should they have handled things differently? Maybe. Would it have allowed my child to stay inside me longer to develop more fully first before being born? We hope this potentially new perinatologist will be able to answer these questions.

2 comments:

  1. You definitely need an OB/GYN you feel comfortable with! And, you might consider a doula (pronuonced doo-la) A doula is a trained birthing coach (usually a nurse) and can be with you every step of the way as much as you need her. They can even be there at delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used doulas for my first 2 births (the 3rd birth happened too quickly and unexpectedly for my doula to make it). I really won't be needing a doula from here on out since they are most valuable during the actual labor. My first and 3rd births resulted in emergency c-sections, and because of this I will always need to have a scheduled c-section from now on. I will say that my current doula was a great support for both me and my family after the tragedy of my last 2 pregnancies, and I think everyone should have a doula to support them in labor.

    ReplyDelete