Tuesday, March 30, 2010

40 year old ovaries

I just found out I have the ovaries of a 40 year old even though I'm only 30.  I spoke with our infertility doctor today and my day 3 labs came back.  My inhibin B and estrogen are on the low side with numbers indicating perimenopausal.  However, my doctor said we are only at a "yellow light" right now as far as ovarian reserve because my FSH was normal.

I mentioned to my doctor that there isn't a history of early menopause in my family as far as I know, but he said that the abruption or heavy bleeding from it could have caused me to loose a lot of eggs.  I don't know if I had heavy bleeding from the abruption.  He asked if I needed a transfusion, but I didn't.  I do know that I had heavy bleeding with this last miscarriage.

Maybe my ovaries are just plum tuckered out after all this drama.  Apparently my uterus is up for the task even though it's been through hell and back, why aren't my stupid ovaries?!  All they have to do is release eggs, it's the uterus that has to do all the heavy lifting!  Come on girls, get it together!  Anyway, back on topic...

Because of my hyperactive natural killer cells, he also wants to order a DQ Alpha test for both me and Kevin to test genetic similarity (which insurance also does not cover).  My doctor says it's rare, but if the DNA of a couple is too similar, the woman's body will reject the pregnancy (this happens in nature to prevent things like offspring from incest and such, ya know...) I asked a few questions about what it would mean if we were too similar, and there are options, but it would complicate things a lot.  We'll explore that path if we need to.  It stresses me out too much to think about it right now.  It would however offer an explanation for all the unexplained problems we've had (stillbirth, abruption, miscarriages).

It just seems to me like this story is getting worse and worse.  I got off the phone today feeling really discouraged.  I really really want more kids and to have at least one living sibling for Savannah, but I really want to be done with all this soon.  Apparently, my ovaries want to be done with all this soon too.  Do you hear that noise?  Is that a clock ticking?  Lemme go find out where that's coming from...

2 comments:

  1. When ever I get news that's not so great, I sit back and wonder how the hell people did any of this back in the day! I guess you just wouldn't have another child? I mean look how far medicine has come, and yet even when they transfer the embryos in IVF, it's still up to nature. It's like we know so much and so little all at the same time.

    I hope things start to turn around for you, I really do. You're in my thoughts. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Yeah it does seem like they can't really decide what's wrong with you but the more and more they dig, the worse it seems. :S

    ReplyDelete