Monday, September 14, 2009

Tasting the moment

Did you ever want something so bad you could taste it? I remember as a kid the American Girl line of toys had just come out, and they were horribly overpriced even then. I wanted the Samantha doll and her accessories with a vengeance. They had several contests where you could mail in a postcard and win a bunch of stuff, and I would hope and pray that my entry would be picked. Mom and Dad didn't have $75+ laying around to be able to afford such a toy not even at Christmas. Of course, I never won, but I would study the catalogues, and picture the accessories, and imagine myself playing with these deliciously life-like toys. We visited the American Girl store with my daughter several months ago, and it was like walking through the catalogue. It was even better than I used to imagine! I even have the means to purchase the things I yearned for all those years ago (I didn't of course, but that's not the point).

That's how this next baby feels to me. Now that Aunt Flow has made her arrival again, I am getting excited that this could be it. Maybe in 6 weeks, we will see a little heartbeat on the screen. Maybe in 9 months, we will be holding our next living, healthy bundle of joy. I see other women with their babies, and I can almost taste it just like those silly little toys. I have to remind myself at moments like this to slow down and relax. It may not happen in 6 weeks or 9 months, but I know it will happen. And I will myself to be patient and enjoy the things that life has to offer right now and to stay in the moment.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!! What more can I say? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hope you get to see a flickering heartbeat on a screen in 6 weeks!

    ReplyDelete