Sunday, October 18, 2009

Feelings of Disappointment and Frustration

Ok, ok. Now that the disappointment of not being pregnant has worn off, I'm not so eager to seek artificial assistance for conceiving. I don't know how people with infertility issues deal month after month with the disappointment. I've never had to go more than 2 months without conceiving, but I'm always frustrated after the first month!

I will say that I do have a limit to how many more times I am willing to go through pregnancy (barring anymore unforeseen circumstances of course). Given this, we have decided to continue our attempts to conceive naturally for this pregnancy. Depending on the gender of this upcoming baby, we will then make a determination if we will use PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) to determine gender for the subsequent pregnancies.

With the little information Kevin has told me and the little research I've done on this method, I'm surprised that more people who use IVF don't use PGD as well for extra insurance. It can screen for the presence of a large number of genetic disorders before the embryo is implanted helping to prevent any additional heartache that may results for naturally occurring chromosome mistakes or inherited genetic mutations. The additional fees for the test are not that much more when you factor in what IVF costs anyway.

After thinking through all of our options, I'm secretly (although not so secretly now) hoping that the next baby is a girl. Then we can plan to use PGD to have our two boys for the pregnancy after this one. Even though events don't always go as we hope and plan them, I wouldn't mind being pregnant 2 more times, but 3 is stretching it!

5 comments:

  1. I think this PGD stuff is very interesting. I wonder though, is it not a normal part of the IVF process or do you have to ask for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to go to special places to get PGD. I don't think it's a normal part of IVF. But I could be completely wrong about that...I don't know much about IVF to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so let me make sure I understand. You want a girl and two boys? Doesn't that mean 3 more pregnancies? Did you write that you didn't want to be pregnant 3 more times? Am I doing bad math?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if we did the PGD/IVF thing, we would implant enough to have 2 boys for that one pregnancy. They would be twins. If things go according to plans that is, but we all know what plans are for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I see now. Wow, twins. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete